Sunday 17 August 2014

Coffee Cupcakes

I adapted a few recipes together to create these
yummy coffee cupcakes
I used the Hummingbird Bakery Vanilla cupcake recipe
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter
120ml whole milk
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

I also added to this some coffee essence which I made using this recipe
2 tbsps instant coffee granules (all I had was caramel flavour which is just lovely)
170ml water
Add together in a saucepan and boil until half is dissolved, then leave to one side to cool down

Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer, beat on slow until combined and a sandy consistency, gradually pour in half the milk

Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk in a seperate bowl, then pour into the flour mixture, mix until combined

Add 2 tbsps of coffee essence and mix again until well combined

Spoon in cake cases and bake in the oven 170c / 325f / gas 3

For the topping I made a batch of Hummingbird bakery frosting
250g icing sugar
80g unsalted butter
25ml whole milk
2 tsp of coffee essence (add a couple drops of vanilla essence to make vanilla frosting)

Beat the icing sugar and butter in a mixer
Mix milk and essence in a seperate bowl and add to mixer a few spoonfuls at a time
Once all combined, mix on a higher speed, until light and fluffy (at least 5 minutes)

Top the cooled cupcakes with the frosting
I used some melted chocolate to decorate the top

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, they make me smile :)